Time to Read

Recently I have begun a regular reading routine. Not that I don't read of course, but I don't read as much as I would like. It all started when I discovered shelves at the Launceston LINC packed full of used books for sale. Not that I don't have enough books already, but I couldn't resist a few more for a mere dollar each. So here's what I've read of late.

The first two are travel memoirs:

See Naples and Die by Penelope Green is the sequel to When in Rome which I read last year. This is the story of Penny's move to Naples, crime capital of Italy, and how she grew to love the city and everything about it. Interesting adventures for the Sydney-born journalist.


Ma Folie Francaise is a must read for all of us Francophiles. Marisa Raoul, also from Sydney, met her French husband whilst they were both flight stewards. Eventually they moved to France and set up a B&B which they successfully ran for eight years. This is a beautiful atmospheric book about life in a tiny French village, and I couldn't put it down.

Interestingly, Marisa moved to Tasmania some years ago but has since moved back to Sydney. I have been in contact with her and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.


And then for something completely different, Hester & Harriet by Hilary Spiers. I guess I chose this one because of our hens Harriet and Hilary... but I so enjoyed it. Hester and Harriet are widowed sisters living together in a village in England. They 'find' a young girl from Belarus and her new born child and take them in, along with their wayward teenage nephew. Wonderful whimsical story, surprising ending.


So that's what I've been reading the past few weeks - how about you?



Comments